- This 5.1" aperture reflector telescope gathers an ample amount of light for great views of the planets and Moon, as well as brighter galaxies, nebulas, and star clusters
- Short 24" long optical tube design for easy portability and fast f/5 focal ratio for pleasing wide-field performance makes the SpaceProbe 130ST EQ a very versatile telescope the whole family can enjoy
- Sturdy EQ-2 equatorial telescope mount and adjustable tripod allows manual slow-motion tracking of celestial objects as they appear to migrate across the night sky
- Complete assembled telescope weighs just 27 lbs. for convenient transport
- Includes two 1.25" Sirius Plossl eyepieces (25mm and 10mm), 6x30 finder scope, 1.25" rack and pinion focuser, tripod accessory tray, collimation cap, Starry Night astronomy software, and more!
Our largest aperture SpaceProbe reflector telescope is the niftiest Newtonian reflector on an equatorial mount we've seen in a long time. The Orion SpaceProbe 130ST EQ Reflector Telescope is a step up from the standard SpaceProbe 130 EQ for the more serious beginning or intermediate stargazer who wants additional performance, particularly for targeting deep-sky objects.
Just what's so nifty about the Orion SpaceProbe 130ST Equatorial Reflector Telescope? The answer is best described as "short and sweet."
First, the short. This "ST", or "Short Tube", version of the SpaceProbe 130 reflector is indeed more compact than the standard model. The 130ST reflector telescope's optical tube measures 24" long compared to 33" on the standard 130. The focal length of the ST's 130mm (5.1") primary mirror is 650mm (f/5), yielding a wider field of view and brighter images for a given telescope eyepiece focal length.
That brings us to sweet. The 130mm aperture primary is a diffraction-limited parabolic mirror, the same type used on much larger reflector telescopes costing many times as much. On a short-focal-length design like this one, a parabolic mirror is a must for focusing incoming light to a point and delivering sharp, detailed images. Moreover, the secondary mirror is held in an advanced holder with thin 0.5mm metal vanes, to reduce diffraction spikes and light loss. These features combined with the included EQ-2 equatorial mount and included accessories described below make this one sweet optical system for astronomy!
- Best for viewing: Brighter deep sky
- Best for imaging: Lunar & planetary
- User level: Beginner
- Optical design: Reflector
- Optical diameter: 130mm
- Finder scope lens diameter: 30mm
- Focal length: 650mm
- Focal ratio: f/5.0
- Optics type: Parabolic
- Glass material: Soda-lime plate
- Eyepieces: Plossl 25.0mm,10.0mm (1.25")
- Magnification with included eyepieces: 26x, 65x
- Resolving power: 0.89arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification: 19x
- Highest useful magnification: 260x
- Highest theoretical magnification: 260x
- Limiting stellar magnitude: 13.2
- Optical quality: Diffraction limited
- Finder scope: 6x30
- Focuser: 1.25" Rack-and-pinion
- Secondary mirror shape: parabolic
- Secondary mirror obstruction: 38mm
- Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter: 28%
- Secondary mirror obstruction by area: 8%
- Mirror coatings/over-coatings: Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
- Mount type: Equatorial
- Astro-imaging capability: Lunar & planetary
- Dovetail bar system: No
- Motor drive compatibility: Clock drive sold separately
- Computerized compatibility: Not compatible
- Bearing material: Friction bearings
- Latitude range: 16-72
- Setting circles: Yes
- Polar-axis scope: Not available
- Counterweights: One 4.8 lb.
- Tube material: Aluminum
- Tripod material: Aluminum
- Counterweight bar length: 8 in.
- Diameter of counterweight shaft: 12mm
- Height range of mount: 35.00 in. - 55.50 in.
- Length of optical tube: 24.0 in.
- Weight, optical tube: 6.2 lbs.
- Weight, mount/tripod: 18.0 lbs.
- Weight, fully assembled: 24.2 lbs.
- Additional included accessories: Collimation cap
- Other features: 2nds are covered by Orion's Satisfaction Guarantee
- Warranty: One year
In the Box
Orion 130mm, f/5 reflector telescope optical tube assembly
25mm Orion Sirius Plossl telescope eyepiece (1.25")
10mm Orion Sirius Plossl telescope eyepiece (1.25")
Tripod legs with attachment screws
EQ-2 equatorial mount
6x30 Finder scope
Finder scope bracket with O-ring
Tripod accessory tray
Slow-motion control cables
Leg lock knobs
Accessory tray bracket
Accessory tray wing screws
Starry Night Special Edition astronomy software digital download insert