- A great first telescope for kids interested in space and the stars
- Delivers powerful views of the Moon's surface, Saturn's rings, Jupiter and its moons, and much more!
- Utilizes a 60mm glass lens (not plastic) and includes two 1.25" telescope eyepieces for two different viewing magnification options right out of the box
- The telescope tube, mount and adjustable-height aluminum tripod are conveniently lightweight at just 4.3 lbs., making the Observer II 60mm pleasantly portable
- Use the included MoonMap 260 to identify and learn about over 260 interesting features on the Moon
This is one of our best telescopes for kids interested in astronomy and space. The Observer II 60mm is a full-fledged refractor telescope complete with everything you need to start enjoying the night sky right out of the box. This telescope will make a great gift for any child interested in exploring starry skies, as it will provide astronomical adventures night after night!
A classic refractor telescope with precision glass optics and great portability, the Orion Observer II 60mm is a complete backyard telescope package that includes the refractor optical tube, a host of accessories, and an adjustable aluminum tripod. It is especially popular with junior astronomy enthusiasts, thanks to its simple operation and traditional appearance. The Observer II 60mm Altazimuth Refractor Telescope weighs just 4.3 lbs. fully assembled, making it very easy for anyone in the family to transport.
The Orion Observer II 60mm Refractor Telescope offers higher quality and more reliable performance than any telescope you'd find in a department store. Featuring an aluminum telescope optical tube and all-glass optics, including an antireflection-coated 60mm-aperture (2.36") achromatic glass objective lens, the Observer II 60mm yields crisp, bright images of the night sky. The altazimuth mount provides smooth motion in both altitude (up/down) and azimuth (left/right) axes of motion, and the lightweight aluminum tripod is adjustable for crowd-pleasing performance and comfort.
Outfitted with a set of accessories perfect for beginning amateur astronomers, the Observer II 60mm Altazimuth Refractor Telescope comes with everything you need to enjoy great views of the night sky right out of the box.
The Observer II 60mm Altazimuth Refractor comes with two telescope eyepieces. Use the included 25mm Kellner eyepiece for wide, 28-power views. When you want more magnifying power, replace the 25mm eyepiece with the included 10mm Kellner eyepiece for stronger, 70-power views. Each included eyepiece has a 1.25" barrel, which is better and more versatile than smaller 0.965" eyepieces commonly bundled with inferior telescopes. Each eyepiece is threaded for use with like-sized filters, which can be used to enhance viewing performance and accentuate contrast (filters sold separately).
The included red-dot sight makes it easy to aim the Observer II 60mm telescope and features two brightness settings. Following a simple alignment procedure that parents can help with, you can use the red-dot sight to accurately aim the refractor telescope at objects in the sky like the Moon and bright planets. Once aligned with the telescope, just turn on the sight and peer through the small circular viewing window so you see the projected red dot, and move the telescope until the dot is on the object you want to see. When you look into the telescope eyepiece, the object will be there!
A 90° mirror diagonal is included for comfortable nighttime viewing through the telescope. A diagonal bends the light path of a telescope so you can view the sky comfortably. Without a diagonal, you'd have to look straight-through the telescope, which can be tricky and downright uncomfortable when looking at certain areas of the sky. Bending the light collected by the telescope at a 90° angle lets you look down into the eyepiece so you can relax and enjoy the view. The versatile Observer II 60mm refractor's 1.25" rack and pinion focuser can also accept a correct-image 1.25" diagonal (sold separately) if you wish to use the telescope for daytime terrestrial viewing of wildlife, landscapes, and more.
The whole family will enjoy the sharp celestial sights provided by the Orion Observer II 60mm Altazimuth Refractor Telescope. For starters, Saturn and its beautiful rings, Jupiter and its dancing moons, and the changing phases of Venus all display nicely in the telescope. Close-up views of the Moon's rocky, cratered surface will give you and your family a new way of looking at our planet's nearest neighbor in the night sky. Even the contrasting blue and gold gems of the double star Albireo can be detected with the Observer II 60mm Altazimuth Refractor, not to mention dozens of brighter "deep-sky" gems, including the magnificent Orion Nebula and the glittering Pleiades and Beehive star clusters.
Since the Observer II 60mm Refractor includes the detailed Orion MoonMap 260, you can easily identify the cool craters and other lunar features you see through the telescope. The MoonMap 260 makes it easy to plan lunar observing sessions and learn names of mountains, valleys and other features seen on the Moon.
Help support and encourage your child's interest in the stars and space with the Observer II 60mm Altazimuth Refractor Telescope. We have a feeling the whole family will want to join in the fun!
- Best for viewing: Lunar & planetarY
- User level: Beginner
- Optical design: Refractor
- Optical diameter: 60mm
- Focal length: 700mm
- Focal ratio: f/11.7
- Coatings: Coated
- Optics type: Air-spaced doublet
- Glass material: Crown/Flint
- Eyepieces: Kellner 25.0mm,10.0mm (1.25")
- Magnification with included eyepieces: 28x, 70x
- Resolving power: 1.93arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification: 9x
- Highest useful magnification: 71x
- Highest theoretical magnification: 120x
- Limiting stellar magnitude: 11.6
- Optical quality: Diffraction limited
- Finder scope: Reflex sight
- Focuser: 1.25" Rack-and-pinion
- Diagonal degrees: 1.25" 90° Mirror Star
- Mount type: Altazimuth
- Astro-imaging capability: Simple moon shots
- Computerized compatibility: Not compatible
- Tube material: Aluminum
- Tripod material: Aluminum
- Height range of mount: 29.00 in. - 46.25 in.
- Length of optical tube: 27.0 in.
- Weight, optical tube: 1.2 lbs.
- Weight, mount/tripod: 2.7 lbs.
- Weight, fully assembled: 4.3 lbs.
- Additional included accessories: Moon Map 260
- Other features: Altitude fine adjustment
- Warranty: One year