- Capture excellent astrophotos with our 8" aperture imaging-optimized f/3.9 Newtonian astrograph reflector telescope
- Big 8" (203mm) aperture and fast f/3.9 focal ratio provides powerful astrophotography performance
- Nine internal baffle rings, extended tube length in front of the focuser, and flat-black interior work together to provide maximum image contrast
- Both primary and 70mm minor-axis secondary mirrors feature enhanced reflectivity (94%) aluminum coatings with a protective quartz overcoat
- Also provides excellent visual views of everything from the Moon to the Messier list of celestial objects thanks to included extension adapters
Our 8" aperture deep-sky imaging specialist boasts features usually reserved for much pricier astrophotography telescopes. In fact, the Orion 8" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph's powerful imaging performance easily exceeds what's achievable with many premium apo refractors costing thousands of dollars more.
Its 8" parabolic primary mirror has 800mm of focal length, making the fast f/3.9 Newtonian an ideal wide-field astrophotography telescope. A substantial 70mm minor axis secondary mirror provides full field illumination to CCD and/or DSLR cameras for efficient astrophotography performance. This provides less than 10% light drop-off around the corners of very large APS-C sized sensors. Both primary and secondary mirrors boast enhanced reflectivity (94%) aluminum coatings with a protective silicon dioxide (quartz) overcoat. Three easy-grip, push-pull collimation hand knobs on the primary cell make collimation adjustments easy. Once aligned, three locking thumbscrews secure the 8" parabolic mirror.
Images acquired with the 8" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph will exhibit maximum contrast thanks to sophisticated telescope features any astrophotographer will appreciate. Nine precisely positioned baffle rings along the inside of the reflector optical tube minimize internal reflections of pesky off-axis light for pristine imaging performance. To further optimize contrast and avoid off-axis light intrusion near the front of the telescope, the dual-speed 2" Crayford focuser has been installed a full 6.3" back from the front of the 30" long reflector optical tube. What's more, the entire inside of the rigid, rolled steel optical tube is coated with high-quality flat black paint to ensure high contrast.
The reflector telescope's low-profile Crayford-style focuser has a full 69mm of backfocus, making it ideal for use with multiple imaging accessories. The smooth-adjusting focuser is held rigidly in place without any possibility of flexure thanks to a sturdy internal steel reinforcing plate. With fine focus adjustment capabilities at a ratio of 11:1, the smooth focuser is a joy to use and makes it easy to perform minute focus adjustments. Drawtube tension is adjustable, so you can customize focuser tension according to the load of astrophotography accessories being used.
As with any fast Newtonian reflector telescope, an optional coma corrector is recommended to eliminate inherent coma for optimized imaging performance. When used with a coma-corrector, the 8" Newtonian Astrograph will astound you with the amount of depth and resolution seen in astrophotos with round stars all the way out to the edges of the substantial field of view.
The 8" Newtonian Astrograph can also be used for spectacular visual observations of deep-sky and solar system based celestial objects. The reflector's 8" aperture and fast focal ratio will amaze you with high-contrast views of the cosmos. Handy extension adapters are included for optimal use of 2" and 1.25" telescope eyepieces.
A thorough complement of accessories comes with the 8" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph telescope. Standard accessories include a cooling accelerator fan for speedy temperature equilibration, a pair of cast aluminum tube rings equipped with both upper and lower 1/4"-20 mounting holes, quick collimation cap, and a 9x50 finder scope. Eight AA batteries (not included) are required for cooling accelerator fan operation, or a portable 12V power supply (sold separately) can be used.
With a weight of just 17.5 lbs. by itself, and 21.8 lbs. with the included accessories installed, the Orion 8" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph can be supported easily by most equatorial mounts designed for astrophotography use.
- User level: Intermediate
- Optical design: Reflector
- Optical diameter: 203mm
- Focal length: 800mm
- Focal ratio: f/3.9
- Optics type: Parabolic
- Glass material: Low thermal expansion glass
- Resolving power: 0.57arc*sec
- Lowest useful magnification: 29x
- Highest useful magnification: 300x
- Highest theoretical magnification: 400x
- Limiting stellar magnitude: 14.2
- Optical quality: Diffraction limited
- Finder scope: 9x50
- Focuser: 2" dual-speed Crayford
- Secondary mirror obstruction: 70mm
- Secondary mirror obstruction by diameter: 35%
- Secondary mirror obstruction by area: 12%
- Mirror coatings/over-coatings: Enhanced Aluminum & Silicon Dioxide
- Mount type: Optical Tube without Mount
- Astro-imaging capability: Lunar, planetary & long exposure
- Tube material: Steel
- Length of optical tube: 30.0 in.
- Weight, optical tube: 17.5 lbs.
- Additional included accessories: Tube rings, Cooling accelerator fan, 2" to 1.25" adapter
- Other features: Primary mirror center mark, Extended tube in front of focuser, Quick collimation cap
Limited Warranty against defects in materials or workmanship for one year from date of purchase. This warranty is for the benefit of the original retail purchaser only.
In the Box:
- Orion 8" f/3.9 Newtonian Astrograph OTA
- 9x50 Finder scope and bracket
- 12V DC Cooling accelerator fan
- 2 Die-cast hinged tube rings
- 2" -to-1.25" Eyepiece adapter
- Collimation cap
- Dust caps
- Starry Night Special Edition astronomy software